Job Title: Chief Operating Officer / Operations Director – Freight Forwarding
Reporting to: CEO
Our client, is a global freight forwarding company with more than 30 years’ experience and a network of world-class partners. They have been awarded the Deloitte ‘Ireland’s Best Managed Company’ accolade for 12 years in a row, a testimony to their culture of continuous improvement, investment in their people, and their philosophy of going the extra mile for their customers.
If you are seeking an exciting, yet challenging opportunity a dynamic international logistics environment to be a member of a Tier 5 management team, this is the role for you!
- Seeking a high calibre and well qualified COO/Operations Director to provide the leadership and direction for the complete operations of this multisite business. A key role is to ensure the highest productivity in the business and to provide excellent service to customers from all business segments.
- To be responsible for leading the operations, warehousing, and logistics functions of the business and to maintain and create safe working conditions while ensuring and maintaining a high productivity and cost-efficient operation.
- To provide an excellent working environment, nurturing talent and fostering trust and leadership in the operational functions. Constantly looking for better ways of working, empowering managers and staff working in operations to provide the best service to all customers of all segments of the operations.
- Establishes and implements current and long-range goals, objectives, plans and policies of operations.
- Define, develop and execute local strategies for operations across the business, in line with and contributing to the company vision and strategy, within the borders of business plan & budget.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the reporting functions according to the agreed operating principles of the business & relationships with customers
- Responsible for setting and effectively managing the yearly budget for the reporting functions.
- Takes a leading role in selection, negotiation & finalizing agreements with suppliers and customers and partners and be ultimately responsible for execution & maintenance of service levels as agreed.
- Ensure compliance with HSSE policies & procedures.
- Deliver a level of service to customers that is equal to best international standards.
- Enforce safe working practices across all sites.
- Ensure a cost-efficient operation in excess of current best practices.
- Responsibility that all managers and staff in the operation are trained in best operation practices with regards to advanced operations strategies, new technology and customs requirements.
- Achieve the Company’s and its customer’s expectations with regard to operational efficiency, productivity, and reliability.
- Manage employee performance issues in line with HR support & best practices, including training, appraisals, discipline, and grievances.
- Ensure staff retention through employee engagement and motivation. Promote continuous improvement through ideas and growth within the teams.
- Candidates who are experienced and strong leaders with assertiveness, high energy, deep sense of responsibility and excellent people skills.
- Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and assistance across departments to meet objectives.
- Minimum 15 years in operations management roles in the freight industry. Exposure to freight forwarding or allied businesses essential
- Min 10 year experience in handling of negotiations with third parties, customers, suppliers, and partners.
- A strong understanding of the role of IT in a freight forwarding environment.
- Strong problem solving and project management skills.
- Knowledge of the freight industry and an ability to relate with freight companies and other associated industry managers.
- Good communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organisation and lead staff on the journey.
- Experience in cost and productivity optimisation through process optimisation, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures.
- Track record managing KPI operational excellence.
- Extensive knowledge of best in class and lean operational practices.
- Experience in finance and cost-related matters, setting budgets and reporting against financial objectives.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills, including crisis management.
- Proven ability to network positively and provide leadership across integrated departments; obtain cooperation and assistance to meet objectives.
- This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or that may be required to do either now or in the future.
*NB: All applicants CVS will be reviewed and should your skillset match our client’s requirements, we will contact you via email / mobile. We are also happy to consider you for other open opportunities within Firstaff. If however, you object to us holding your data on file, please acknowledge via email by return.
Senior Recruitment Consultant